Saturday, June 20, 2009

Kiddie Cars

My ex calls the cars with all the bells and whistles and the trucks that have been jacked up into the stratosphere so the chassis won't scrape on the balloon tires "kiddie cars." Meaning the men (the drivers were always men) haven't grown up. Shorthand for "boys must have their toys."

(And, by the way, were we the only parents to notice that little boys are born with "Vroom! Vroom!" hard wired into their vocal cords?)

This came to mind yesterday as I followed a jacked up Chevrolet Silverado through Seattle. Not conspicuously high, nor flashily colored, but with what looked like a pair of silver bags swinging from just below the trailer hitch. Was he about to lose a part of whatever cargo he was carrying? The bags seemed to be securely attached to a heavy wire just under the hitch, so that was unlikely.

We stopped for a red light so I had a closer look--rather hard not to, since they were swinging at eye level from my little Honda. When I recognized the shape (but not the size or the material) I thought I should hail a passing police officer to arrest the owner for indecent exposure.

Someone had cast a larger than life size pair of testicles, carefully enclosed in their scrotum, from silver metal and the truck's owner had hung this from the rear of his truck.

Kiddie car.

No comments:

Post a Comment