Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Pussywillows, Cattails

I can't speak for anyone else, but my memory is stuffed with odd scraps of songs, poems, "wise" adages, quotes from the famous and not-so-famous and (surprisingly!) long passages from favorite books. One of these is the refrain from Gordon Lightfoot's "Pussywillows, Cattails":

Pussywillows, cattails, soft winds and roses

Which is a lovely phrase, evoking various stages of spring after a long cold winter, but, besides the tune, it's all I can remember.

One of the really nice things about being connected to the internet is how easy it can be to find things like words to songs. I just typed in "Gordon Lightfoot" and went from his bio to a list of his songs to the songs themselves

And what did I find? The song is like an exercise in Freud' s free association technique, where one phrase evokes another and that evokes a third and so on and so on. Since no one's mind works exactly like another's, Lightfoot's patterns are different from mine. No wonder I couldn't follow it.

Given that spring has finally arrived to stay, and that is an event worth celebrating, here's the opening and closing stanza:
Pussy willows, cattails, soft winds and roses
Rainpools in the woodland, water to my knees
Shivering, quivering, the warm breath of spring
Pussy willows, cat tails, soft winds and roses

No comments:

Post a Comment